River Garden, located in the historic Lower Garden District of New Orleans, is a vibrant community created through the HUD HOPE VI Redevelopment of the former St. Thomas Housing Development. The River Garden community sits on approximately 60 acres located immediately adjacent to the Mississippi Riverfront on the edge of the trendy New Orleans Warehouse District. Embracing “New Urbanism” concepts, River Garden incorporates mixed use developments with a pedestrian and an historic preservation friendly atmosphere.
Providing the development road map for this neighborhood, the River Garden Master Plan summarizes all components of the River Garden Community which include:
- River Garden Apartments, Construction Site I (CS I): River Garden CS I includes 296 apartments in duplexes, fourplexes and townhouse construction. Designed with special attention to historic design sensitivity, River Garden CS I offers all of the amenities of newly constructed residential with a uniquely New Orleans neighborhood feel.
- Neighborhood Park: A 2.75 acre neighborhood park sits in the center of the River Garden neighborhood offering ample green space, trees, and pedestrian walkways.
- River Garden Homes: Offering home ownership opportunities in this community, River Garden Homes will create 73 new construction homes built in proximity to the central River Garden Neighborhood Park.
- River Garden Elderly Apartments: River Garden Elderly Apartments includes 57 elderly apartments in a new construction four story building. Located immediately adjacent to the Redemptorist Church complex, residents will have access to a private landscaped courtyard.
- River Garden Historic Apartments: Bringing new life into five historic St. Thomas buildings, River Garden Historic Apartments creates 37 apartments in the brick and masonry structures, all surrounding an oak tree canopied courtyard.
- River Garden Construction Site II (CS II): River Garden CS II will be comprised of 310 new construction townhouse and four story residential buildings. Built with similar design attention as previous River Garden developments, River Garden CS II’s location benefits from the convenience of an adjacent Wal-Mart retail center and the neighborhood park
- Retail Development: In keeping with the mixed use concept for the site, HRI properties spearheaded the efforts to develop a Wal-Mart retail center on the south end of the River Garden overall site. Additionally, approximately 26,000 square feet of neighborhood retail space will be constructed in association with the River Garden CS II development.
- Off-Site Development: As part of the River Garden HOPE VI Redevelopment, the developer is committed to providing additional units outside the official boundaries of the River Garden community. An additional 100 units of rental units and 50 units of homeownership units will be constructed on scattered sites throughout the city.